Saturday, February 1, 2014

My FIRST EVER Blog Post

It's been 4 days since I created my 'blog' and 4 days of no posts. I feel this enormous amount of pressure, that whatever I choose to write about it HAS to be good. After all it IS my FIRST EVER post to my blog. But here I sit, letting my fingers ramble whatever the heck they want, and my brain doing nothing about it. I have thought often of creating a blog, but never really knew what I would focus on.... and I didn't really like the idea of this online journal thing that everyone could see. And read. And talk about. And tell others. And judge. And laugh at. And a whole lot of others things! So the idea of blogging just stayed hid away in my mind, for no one else to see. Until one day at work (I am a dental assistant for the most amazing dentist in the world, seriously)  a coworker of mine (who no longer works there for various reasons) made a comment that irritated me to the core. I can't even remember exactly what it is she said, but I remember it was about my religion. My faith. SHE tried telling ME what it was that I believed. What?! I wasn't even talking about my religion and would never push my beliefs on anyone. But at that particular moment she felt inclined to go into some sort of "Mormon" bashing episode. She new all too well that I was "Mormon". She was also baptized as a young girl and both her parents are "Mormon".  While I stood there I listened, whole heartedly, to everything she had to say. I think it must have been 5 minutes before she was done. I could feel my temperature rising with every word coming out of her mouth. Why was she lying? Everything she was saying was false, and us "Mormons" didn't believe what she was saying. (I wish I could remember what it is she said. It's funny how words seem to disappear, but feelings can last forever). I let her rant until she was done and then I said, "Wow, I had no idea that Mormons believed that. Where did you learn that?" (You will soon learn that I am a very sarcastic person). Again I should remind you, I am not one to speak out about my religion. I am content with people living their own lives, being amazing people, and loving others. I don't like being pushy. But for some reason that day I felt she was making a personal attack on me because of what she was saying about "Mormons", so I HAD to speak out (which I will be doing a lot more of from now on). Guess where she learned her "Mormon" information? From a person, who doesn't know a thing about our religion, who then in turn had heard it from another person... do you see where this is going? Well, after I asked her that question and she answered, I bluntly said, "that's a load of crap and completely wrong. We don't believe that at all." I guess she hadn't thought ahead of what to say because her face went completely cherry colored and she turned back around in her chair to do whatever it was that she did at work. I don't tell this story to sound mean, or awesome. I am not "holier than thou". But I felt I had to set her straight. Well, not her, just the info she was supplying. Whatever it is she is doing today, she probably doesn't feel any differently about "Mormons". She probably is still bashing blindlessly (is that a word?). Who knows what she thinks. That was my first time having a slight confrontation about my religion with anyone. I admittedly have to say that I hated it. I am the last person that people should talk to about doctrine, I hardly know a thing! But I knew that day. And my heart forced me to speak. I spoke. Not very many words, but enough to explain that Hey, I know who I am. I know us "Mormons" are freaking weird (as opposed to, normal? And boring?). I felt good that I spoke, even for a second. I had to. We are all children from the same Father God. With the same brother Jesus. We have a lot of differences in thought and way of life, but God made us that way, didn't He? Wouldn't this life be so empty if we didn't have these colorful opinions about so many things? We wouldn't learn patience and understanding. We wouldn't learn how to LOVE others. (Isn't this a commandment?). Especially for who they are. Everyone, including me, can stand to be a better person. The world is getting worse. There are even more differences and opinions with so many people these days. We may not believe or "support" what others say, do, or believe. But does that mean we have to hate them? Does that mean we have to shun them? I don't think so. What would Jesus do? He LOVES everyone. Loving someone doesn't mean you have to believe or support everything they do. That is the beauty of being different. Love the person, not their objective. That's what Jesus would do. Don't spread hate by trying to get people to understand and agree with who you are. Just be who you are. Let others be who they are. Be your best kind of example. LOVE OTHERS. After this small conversation I had with my ex coworker, I decided that I was definitely going to start my blog. I am a singer and artist. I have been wandering back and forth between genres of music and couldn't decide what to sing, until now. I love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Without them I am in fact, nothing. So what better way to share my talent, which God gifted me, by sharing the LOVE of both of them through the power of music. I am the most imperfect person I have ever known (yes, you can know yourself!). I have so much to be thankful for and a lifetime of second chances to write about. My journey begins and I would love to have you come along.
MUCH LOVE, Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment